The uniqueness in our office is that we are a family practice, therefore we see children at a young age; three years of age on up and we, many times, can see when there's a malocclusion, or they've got some problem with their bite, at a really young age. They might have a bulldog look or they might have a really ... Overbite or bucky teeth as you might call it.
We can intercept that at a younger age, say in their seven years of age, and start to expand their arch, widen things out, so they can accommodate their permanent teeth down the road.
If we see a tongue habit that's a problem, say thumb sucking or a lisp or a swallowing problem, we try to address those issues early so that tongue can help develop that arch so that down the road, they don't have to do orthodontics or at least not have to do three years of orthodontics.
As we see them through the practice, we sometimes do our orthodontics a little earlier than waiting until it's a full blown mess.
I think that's probably one of the unique things that we do in the practice. Also, the other thing that we do; if we expand the arch and we get their mouth developed correctly and we check their airway and make sure they're breathing correctly and their tongue's in the right position, we don't have to take out permanent teeth to straighten their teeth.
I think a big, broad, beautiful smile is ten times better than pulling the teeth back and sinking that face in. I want broad smiles, I want good lips, I want a great face. I'm more about the face. The teeth, yes, but that face has to be good too.
S&G Family Dentistry in Leawood, KS offers a variety of orthodontic options to help you get a more balanced, straighter smile. With decades of experience, there is no smile too troublesome for Dr. Schopper and our team. At the end of the day, you will benefit most with:
- A healthier smile
- Less risk of TMJ pain due to misalignment
- A beautiful smile to boost your confidence
- Early morning appointment times for your convenience
Find the Perfect Orthodontics Solution For Your Unique Smile
You will benefit from the experience of our doctors and staff. We can treat any smile that walks into our office. Call us with confidence that we can help you! Here are some of our most common orthodontic options.
- Traditional braces – This is the orthodontic treatment most people are familiar with. Metal brackets are bonded to the front of the teeth, and a metal wire across the teeth connects the brackets. The force applied by the wire over time moves your teeth – the crowns and roots – into proper position. These are great for both kids and adults with varying degrees of misalignment or bite problems.
- Ceramic braces – Ceramic braces are a discreet version of traditional braces. The ceramic brackets blend in with your teeth, and the wire is barely noticeable.
- Invisalign – With the help of clear plastic dental aligners, your teeth can be moved gently into their correct positions. These aligners resemble mouthguards but are clear, so they don’t adversely affect your appearance. They are also removable, so you won’t have to avoid the foods you enjoy. If your teeth have minor alignment issues, ask about our Invisalign Express treatment.
- Preventive orthodontics – Developing dental structures need to be guided when they start to move out of correct alignment. Preventive orthodontics focuses on treating children with these types of problems early on so that they don’t need treatment or as extensive treatment later. By expanding the palate to make room for teeth to grow properly and the jaw to develop correctly, we can also help open the airway and prevent sleep disordered breathing.
- Space maintainers – When your child’s mouth is developing, it is important to make sure that everything stays where it should. When a child loses a tooth prematurely, a space maintainer can be put in the empty space. This ensures that teeth on either side of the opening do not encroach on the space, and that the adult tooth has enough room to erupt without affecting any other teeth.
- Dentofacial orthopedics – Your child’s dental structure may need additional help beyond simply straightening teeth. Dentofacial orthopedics can do just that. With skeletal and face masks, expanders, and functional appliances, S&G Family Dentistry in Leawood, KS will guide the development of your child’s facial structure and smile. This can ensure proper growth of teeth and bone as well as eliminate any facial imbalances.
Don’t delay any longer. Begin the process toward your beautiful new smile when you call 913-945-1612 for your orthodontics consultation today! Our office is conveniently located on Ash Street, tucked behind Nall Avenue just down the street from the AMC Theater 20.