Do you have some teeth that are out of alignment? Want to improve your smile by getting them back in line? Orthodontics treatment from S&G Family Dentistry may be just the ticket to get your smile where you want it to be – straight, even, and beautiful.
What Is the Goal of Orthodontics?Read Transcript
Dr. Sharper and I were both trained in straight wire bridge braces, your traditional band and brackets, and we do a fair amount of those. We see kids from when they first come to the practice until they’re adults. We’re trained, too, in early orthodontics. Phase one, if you want to call it that. We’ve had kids who … For instance my own daughter when she was four, I had her in a little cross bite appliance that took care of her issue at that time. You can sometimes step in early, do something small, and avoid a big problem down the road.
I had a patient just a couple weeks ago that I saw that we had made an appliance for. She was in a class three bite, her lower teeth were in front of her upper teeth, kind of like a bulldog look when she was seven. We made her an appliance that kicked her teeth over. Now she is a teenager. We just had a discussion and made the decision not to do braces, because everything was in good shape. They didn’t need to do that. If we wouldn’t have stepped in and done that early, she would be in a mess as a teenager.
Then we do traditional braces when kids get a little bit older, where you just have the regular braces, bands, brackets, wires, and all that kind of stuff. People get to become adults, then you have more choices. You can do traditional bands and brackets, or that’s where Invisalign steps in, too. Invisalign is a great product, not for everyone, but because we have the background of traditional orthodontics and Invisalign, and can offer both, we can give them the best option for them, for their specific need.
We’ll combine a lot of things. We’ll take Invisalign or traditional braces, get teeth in line, then follow it up with cosmetic procedures, veneers or crowns, things like that to finish out a case. We had one of those cases recently. It went really well. So, there’s a lot that goes into it. You think of traditional braces as kids and teenagers, and that’s it, but it could be as early as little kids, or it could be someone in their retired years that want to do something with a tooth here and there. We do that a lot too. It’s really across the board, who wants those treatments and who will step in and do them. I’ve been surprised at how many people at all phases will just come in one day and say, “You know, this has been bothering me for 20 years, but I’d like to move this tooth a little bit,” and we can do that. They’re like, “That’s been bugging me my whole life. I don’t know why I didn’t do that earlier.” We see that a lot.
Straighter, properly aligned teeth is the goal of all orthodontic treatments. Each of your teeth has a certain place it is supposed to occupy in your mouth, but life rarely works out that nicely. When you have misaligned teeth, your appearance can suffer, your bite can suffer, your oral health can suffer with increased likelihood of decay, and you can experience difficulty chewing your food. Orthodontic treatments from S&G Family Dentistry can help get your teeth back into line and out of each other’s way. This will improve your smile, improve the function of your bite, help reduce chances of bacteria buildup, and eliminate any pain associated with misaligned teeth.
Orthodontic Options at S&G Family Dentistry
The uniqueness in our office is that we are a family practice, therefore we see children at a young age; three years of age on up and we, many times, can see when there's a malocclusion, or they've got some problem with their bite, at a really young age. They might have a bulldog look or they might have a really ... Overbite or bucky teeth as you might call it.
We can intercept that at a younger age, say in their seven years of age, and start to expand their arch, widen things out, so they can accommodate their permanent teeth down the road.
If we see a tongue habit that's a problem, say thumb sucking or a lisp or a swallowing problem, we try to address those issues early so that tongue can help develop that arch so that down the road, they don't have to do orthodontics or at least not have to do three years of orthodontics.
As we see them through the practice, we sometimes do our orthodontics a little earlier than waiting until it's a full blown mess.
I think that's probably one of the unique things that we do in the practice. Also, the other thing that we do; if we expand the arch and we get their mouth developed correctly and we check their airway and make sure they're breathing correctly and their tongue's in the right position, we don't have to take out permanent teeth to straighten their teeth.
I think a big, broad, beautiful smile is ten times better than pulling the teeth back and sinking that face in. I want broad smiles, I want good lips, I want a great face. I'm more about the face. The teeth, yes, but that face has to be good too.
- Traditional Braces – This is the orthodontic treatment most people are familiar with. Metal brackets are bonded to the front of the teeth, and a metal wire across the teeth connects the brackets. The force applied by the wire over time moves your teeth – the crowns and roots – into proper position. These are great for both kids and adults with varying degrees of misalignment or bite problems.
- Ceramic Braces – Ceramic braces are new twist on traditional braces. The ceramic brackets blend with your teeth, and the wire is barely noticeable. These clear braces do not have as drastic an effect on your appearance as traditional braces do.
- Invisalign – With the help of clear plastic dental aligners, your teeth can be moved gently into their correct positions. These aligners resemble mouthguards but are clear, so they don’t adversely affect your appearance. They are also removable, so you won’t have to avoid the foods you enjoy. If your teeth have minor alignment issues, ask about our Invisalign Express treatment.
- Preventive Orthodontics – Developing dental structures need to be guided when they start to move out of correct alignment. Preventive orthodontics focuses on treating children with these types of problems early on so that they don’t need treatment or as extensive treatment later on. By expanding the palate to make room for teeth to grow properly and the jaw to develop correctly, we can also help open the airway and prevent sleep disordered breathing.
- Space Maintainers – When your child’s mouth is developing, it is important to make sure that everything stays where it should. When a child loses a tooth prematurely, a space maintainer can be put in the empty space. This ensures that teeth on either side of the opening do not encroach on the space, and that the adult tooth has enough room to erupt without affecting any other teeth.
- Dentofacial Orthopedics – Your child’s dental structure may need additional help beyond simply straightening teeth. Dentofacial orthopedics can do just that. With skeletal and face masks, expanders, and functional appliances, S&G Family Dentistry will guide the development of your child’s facial structure and smile. This can ensure proper growth of teeth and bone as well as eliminate any facial imbalances.
Your First Orthodontic Visit
If you or your child needs orthodontics treatment, we are here to help. First, schedule an orthodontic consultation so we can assess your situation and discuss your options together. We will complete an exam and take panoramic X-rays, headplate X-rays, and intraoral and extraoral photos to understand your condition as clearly as possible. Then, we will talk about your options, your goals, and your timeline and plan your treatment accordingly.